Once upon a time there was a rich man living in Benares, in northern India. He had a son who was intelligent, curious and eager to learn. Even though he was only seven years old, he was determined to find out what is really valuable.
One day the little boy asked his father, “What are the ways to gain the most valuable things in life?”
His father said, “Only worthy ways lead to worthwhile goals. These are the six worthy ways:
• keep yourself healthy and fit;
• be wholesome in every way;
• listen to those with more experience;
• learn from those with more knowledge;
• live according to Truth;
• act with sincerity, not just energy.”
The boy paid close attention to his father’s words. He tried hard to practice these ways from then on. As he grew up and became wise, he realized that the six worthy ways, and the most valuable things in life, could not be separated.